The Shure SM81-LC is a cardioid condenser microphone used in live sound, broadcast, and recording scenarios. It features a flat-frequency response between 20 Hz and 20 kHz and provides a switchable low-pass filter that can be set to either 6 dB/octave or 18 dB/octave. Other features, such as a lockable -10 dB pad and SPL handling of 146 dB (with the pad on), make the microphone well suited for a variety of situations.
This mic sports a cardioid polar pattern that helps it achieve a high level of gain before inducing feedback, ensuring the mic will work well on the stage. This polar pattern also sports excellent off-axis rejection, helping to retain isolation in live and studio recordings.
The SM81-LC offers the kind of durability one would expect from Shure as well as low susceptibility to RF issues in the field. Its steel construction ensures the mic can be used in a variety of conditions, though phantom power is required to operate the SM81-LC.
Key Features at a Glance
- Uniform cardioid pick-up pattern provides lots of gain before feedback on stage, as well as rejection of off-axis sound
- Flat-frequency response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz for accurate reproduction of sound sources
- Selectable low-frequency response (flat, 6 dB/octave, or 18 dB/octave roll-off)
- Vinyl-coated steel construction and stainless steel screen resist wear and abuse
- High sound pressure level (SPL) handling
- Low susceptibility to RFI
- Lockable -10 dB attenuator switch
- Performs over a wide range of temperature and humidity conditions
- Phantom powered
- Rugged and reliable